8.28.2009

An Army Wife Preview


On December 27th, I will become an Army wife. With a swift tap on the bum by a sabre, I will be welcomed into the Army.

My opinions on marrying into the military have changed ever since Brandon and I started talking about our long future together. I specifically remember not understanding why anyone would want to have that lifestyle since it is such a difficult one full of sacrifices.

While I admire all military spouses and their families, I found it hard to believe that they could be completely happy. Holding a successful career would be near impossible since the Army life requires moving every three to five years. Your own goals are put on the backburner as the Army always comes first. They have to be prepared to raise kids on their own for numerous months while their spouse is deployed. And, of course, the worst of it all is consistently worrying about their safety.

But then I fell in love with a soldier, and all of it seemed to be worth it. When you love someone as much as I love Brandon, you are willing to give it all up in order to pursue your own version of "happily ever after."

I had a taste of what it would be like to live in a military town and wait for my man in ACUs to come home when I stayed in Columbus, Georgia for a week. Admittedly, I was bored out of my mind during the day. Brandon would leave at 4:30am for work and not come home until about 5pm. Five hours later, it was time for bed in order to rest up for yet another long day.

Those five hours that we were awake together each night were happy, and far too short. I loved watching him get ready for work, and I stole kisses from him because I didn't want him to leave. But I even more enjoyed greeting him when he came home with even more kisses and giant bear hugs.

We will lead an incredibly joyous life if all of our hellos and goodbyes stay this way.

There is also a great community of people. Brandon's fellow soldiers, while sometimes crude and brutally honest, are all full of heart. They take care of each other, and that is something I am more than excited to be part of.
We both have a lot to learn about military life, but it is a journey that we will embark on together.

No comments:

Post a Comment